09 August 2008

The Kale-o-lympics

Sorry it's been so long. I've been in a mental black hole. Just sort of on auto-pilot for a few days, I guess. But, I'm back!! Yeehaw! Um, anyways...

So, Kale has been at daycamp at Camp Wyldewood all week. He's had a really, really good time. Especially because he's there with his good friend Asher. However, yesterday, in honor of the Olympics, Camp W decided to have it's on version of the Olympics. Kale (along with Asher, thank goodness!) was informed he would be representing Kenya. He had to wear a yellow/gold shirt to camp as his team jersey. Right away, I could tell that something was wrong. So, I asked him before he went to bed how he was feeling about the Camp W Olympics. "Not so good, mom," was his instant reply. "Kale, what's bothering you about the Olympics?" "Well, they said we all have to do it." "You don't want to do it?" "Well, I sort of want to." "Then, what's bothering you?" "We only can't do it all if we forget to bring swimming trunks." "So there will be swimming races?" "Yeah." "Kale, are you nervous about the Olympics?" "Yeah." It was heart-wrenching. Here's my son, going to bed, knowing that in the morning the camp he's enjoyed so much is going to have a scary thing that he's being forced to do. The thing is: I can relate. I remember as a child being terrified when I had to compete in sports against other children. I wasn't un-athletic. I think I just got really nervous about competing against other kids. What if I didn't measure up? What if I messed up? What if I looked stupid or inept? ( didn't know the word 'inept'...added that part later.) It wasn't until MUCH later that I enjoyed competition at all, and to this day the only competition I really enjoy is against myself. I do well if I"m trying to best myself...not so well when I'm competing against others. I guess that's how God made me to be. (It's funny I should feel that way...I'm a HUGE sports fan! I LOVE to watch others competing against each other! Ha!) So, sitting on Kale's bed, I'm trying hard to figure out what to say to him. Unfortunately, the only thing I could think of was, "Kale my advice is this: don't tell the other kids you are nervous or don't want to do it. Just gut it out and then it will be over. Be strong." Great advice, right? I'm not so sure. I felt bad even saying that to him. But I wish I had figured out at a much younger age how to conquer my fears and disguise my misgivings. I think things would have been better for me back then. It's hard as a parent, I think, to figure out how to draw a line between wanting to promote the personality that God so intentionally chose for your child and seeing remnants of your own personality that you want to spare your child from going through. Does that make any sense? I'm so proud of Kale. He's brilliantly smart (really), thoughtful, gentlemanly, helpful, he's a leader, even if he doesn't realize it yet, and he's already turning into a strong swimmer. There's so many things I could say about him that I love. And I hurt for him when he hurts. I want to spare him the trials I went though. We are so similar! At least I can rest in the consolation that I feel like I can really understand Kale. I know exactly where he's coming from. I get his motivations and his misgivings. He is definitely MY SON!! Thank you, Lord! Kale spent the night with Asher last night, so I haven't been able to ask him yet how things went at the Olympics. I'm nervous! I'll let you know what he says. Talk to you soon!

No comments: